The rules are mostly the same, but with a few simple significant changes:
- There is a “1” discount token that goes on the low plant. This makes the lowest plant always minimum bid 1. If it isn’t bought, it is removed at the end of the auctions.
- The starting plants are no longer fixed, and you remove a pre-set number of “low” and “high” plants for 2P/3P/4P rather than simply removing 4 or 8 random plants from higher than the fixed starting market.
- An optional / advanced rule about determining initial cities.
- Coal is always available on the US map.
- A few tweaks to the US and Germany map connections.
- The 2-player game ends with 18 cities built instead of 21 cities built.
Here’s a video of the original. Keep in mind the listed differences while watching.